Apparently nothing creates such discomfort in the house as a damaged, leaking roof. Moreover, a damaged roof can cause considerable damage to your home. Therefore, the construction industry annually improves roofing materials, roofing technology, methods of thermal and waterproofing, etc. Of course, all this costs a lot of money, so every homeowner should make sure that its roof retains its functionality and integrity for as long as possible.
When does the roof need repair?
The most common reason for repairs – leaks in apartments located on the upper floors.
They can be separated into the below types:
Snow and downpours. The roof begins to leak during melting snow or heavy rain. This indicates the failure of the layers of the roofing pie.
Shimmering leaks. Occur without any reason. Evidence of errors in the process of laying the roofing pie, resulting in moisture gradually accumulates in its layers.
Dry leaks: there is a gradual wetting of the ceiling and walls, associated with the formation of condensate.
There are many reasons for the failure of the roofing:
- Expiration of waterproofing materials;
- Destruction of roof materials under the influence of temperature fluctuations, precipitation, sunlight;
- Incorrect installation;
- Failure of the roofing by strong winds.
Repair of the roof of a residential apartment building requires significant financial investment. Therefore, for proper cost planning, the degree of wear is assessed.
What repairs are needed?
The decision on the nature of the repair is made by specialists after inspection and assessment of the extent of damage.
Partial repairs are carried out in case of damage to any of the insulating layers of the roof: vapor barrier, insulation, waterproofing, and exterior finishing. It includes the installation of patches and other small works without replacement of all covering.
The overhaul includes replacement of load-bearing floors, renewal of layers of roofing pie (waterproofing, insulation, and coating), replacement of gutters and gratings.
If the results of the inspection will be issued a conclusion on the demolition of an apartment building by more than 70%, it is considered an emergency. In this case, we are talking about the demolition of the house or a complete reconstruction with the renewal of the main load-bearing elements.
Features of roof repair in an apartment building
The issue of financing is decided to depend on who owns the apartment building. If the house belongs to the communal property, the costs of its repair are borne by the communal enterprise. If there are condominiums in your house, the costs are borne entirely by the residents, and the owners are financially responsible in proportion to the area of their apartment.
To repair the roof of an apartment building at the expense of the utility, you should go through a number of stages:
- Carrying out an inspection of the roof with the preparation of an act, which will describe the damage and make a conclusion about what repairs need to be done: partial, capital, or reconstruction.
- Collective decision-making on repairing the roof at the meeting of the residents of the house. The decision is considered adopted if at least 2/3 of the residents have voted positively.
- Drawing up a written application of the established sample for carrying out works. The application is officially submitted in two copies, one of which remains with the residents.
- The utility company hires a contractor and performs the work within the period prescribed by law. If the situation is critical, residents can insist on urgent work, and the utility is obliged to carry out repairs as soon as possible.
Choosing a reliable toronto roof repair contractor is one of the most important issues in roof repair, no matter at whose expense it is carried out. When choosing professionals, trust companies that have experience working at height and perform all types of roofing work.
- How to set up a hospital as per your expectations? - April 3, 2021
- Linux or Windows VPS: What is the Best Option for Your Site? - January 29, 2021
- Avoid These Mistakes When Hiring a Domestic Violence Lawyer - January 26, 2021